Act as POAC for Top Fenders, completing STS operations in Lome, Togo in accordance with TF
policies and procedures and OCIMF guidelines.
Main job function
- Act as brand ambassador for Top Fenders
- Act as POAC for STS operations both underway and at anchor
- Comply with procedures and OCIMF STS Checklists
- Always maintain safe operations and be prepared to stop the job
- Inspect and deploy STS equipment correctly
- Confidently lead Joint Plan of Operations
- Complete safety rounds and checks
- Report near miss and incidents
- Carrying out additional tasks as directed by STS Superintendent/Head of HSEQ.
- Masters COC
- Valid DCE
- Ship simulator course
- Valid medical
- All STCW certificates
- Knowledge of local area of work
- Adaptable & Flexible, proven record of achievement within marine STS operations
- Confident communicator
In addition to the above, and when acting as POAC, the role will require the following;
- Act as a brand ambassador for TFL.
- Comply with the Top Fenders Limited Operating procedures and OCIMF STS check lists.
- Verifies that agreed STS operating procedures are followed and that the operation is conducted in compliance with all applicable regulatory requirements.
- Thoroughly reviews the STS compatibility check list outcome and ensure compliance with Operational Advice Message (OAM) from operations team.
- Coordinates with operation team to gather information and ensure a mooring plan is prepared well in advance.
- Inspects both client and 3rd party related STS equipment before and after each STS operation to ensure suitability for the STS operation.
- Use empowerment authority to reject both Top Fenders Ltd and 3rd party STS equipment if considered unsuitable for STS operation.
- Oversees the correct placement of primary and secondary fenders.
- Conducts a safety round upon boarding STS vessel and reviews vessels mooring equipment.
- Conducts a pre-operation discussion with the responsible persons of both STS vessels, including lightering support craft and tugs as appropriate.
- Confirms that personnel involved in each part of the operation are properly briefed and understand their responsibilities.
- Effectively leads the Joint Plan of Operations meeting with both vessels Masters’ to discuss and agree following points where applicable.
- Emphasize that safety of operation is TFL top priority.
- Location specific risk assessment for each STS operation.
- Approach, mooring, anchoring and unmooring plan.
- TFL Weather criteria for operation, including current and forecasted weather conditions and the need for their continuous monitoring throughout the operation.
- Agree with both vessels that approach and mooring operations must not be attempted until there is a proper and an effective communication between the vessels, and the pre-mooring checks have been completed
- For ‘at sea’ transfers, discuss passage plan and agree courses/speeds for manoeuvring and mooring operations.
- Supervise vessels approach and manoeuvring alongside.
- Requirements for safety rounds to prevent any incidents.
- Hose connection, suspension draining and disconnection procedure.
- Specifies importance of open, clear communication and compliance with Mooring.
- Advises the Master(s) of the critical phases of the cargo transfer, mooring and unmooring operation.
- Ensures operational updates, including fatigue management is provided regularly to LSV.
- Ensure time sheet tally’s with operational updates.
- Confirms that all required reports are made to the appropriate authorities.
- Ensures that all required checklists are duly completed and submitted.
- Oversees the safe connection of transfer hoses/arms and associated emergency release systems (ERS).
- Verifies that any emergency shut down (ESD) system is properly connected and tested.
- Confirms that cargo transfer rates are being monitored together with associated vapour management procedures.
- Verifies that the integrity of the mooring arrangement is continuously monitored.
- Ensure that the contingency plans are activated in the event of an emergency.
- Verifies that cargo transfer lines are properly drained and, where required, purged.
- Ensures hoses are safely disconnected and secured with blank flanges/hose flange covers. The blank flanges / hose flange covers must be fully bolted always when not being used.
- Supervises the unmooring and the separation of vessels.
- Supervises the return of primary and secondary fenders and transfer equipment to safe storage.
- Duly report incidents and near miss in compliance with company procedure providing all necessary details in a timely manner.
- Mooring Master should not sign any documents related to cargo quantity or quality, except LOP (for receipt only)
- An appropriate management level deck license (Master’s COC > 3000 GRT)
- Completion of 50 STS operations acting as POAC.
- Attendance at suitable ship-handling course.
- Thorough knowledge of the geographic transfer area and surrounding areas and.
- Thorough knowledge of the STS Plan.
- GMDSS- GOC
- Dangerous Cargo Endorsement (DEC) – Oil Tanker
- Dangerous Cargo Endorsement (DEC) – Gas Tanker - if we want him to assign LPG ops
- Valid medical certificate
- 5 days STS simulator course from any Government approved maritime training institute
- Oil spill cleanup training
- Oil tanker Familiarization - (STCW - Table A-V/1-1-1)
- Gas tanker Familiarization - (STCW- Table A-V/1-2-1)
- Advance Oil Tanker Course - (STCW- Table A-V/1-1-2)
- Advance Gas Tanker Course - (STCW Table A-V/1-2-2)
- Basic Fire Fighting Course - (STCW Table A-VI/1-2)
- Advanced Fire Fighting Course - (STCW Table A-VI/3)
- Personal Survival Techniques - (STCW A-VI/1-1)
- Personal Safety and Social Responsibilities - (STCW Table A-VI/1-4)
- Proficiency in Survival Craft and Rescue Boats - (STCW Table A-VI/2-2)
- ECDIS - (STCW Regulation II/2 and III/2)
- Ship Security Officers (SSO) - (STCW Table A-VI/5)
- Proficiency in Medical Care - (STCW Table A-VI/4-2)
- Bridge Team Management - (STCW Table A-II/1)
- Bridge Resource Management - (STCW Table A-II/2)
- Human Element & Leadership Management - (STCW- Regulation II/2 and III/2)
The role reports directly into the STS Super Intendent.
3 weeks on/ 3 weeks off, remuneration dependant on experience.